03 January 2009

Long term update

So it has been another good while since I have updated this. Things
have been going pretty well around here for me and Rachael.

Since I last posted, we have been pretty busy. A couple of weeks after
thanksgiving I went cross country with about half of the guys from my
flight. That was a pretty interesting trip. We started off by flying
to little rock shooting an approach at the airport there. After that
we stayed in the air and followed the Arkansas river up to fort smith.
We got gas in fort smith and then we headed down to Alliance fort
worth. That place looked like a UPT base parking ramp because almost
every base that had a trainer had one there. We went out that night
and I got to see my good friend Caroline from the U of A. The next day
we woke up and the winds were blowing so hard (and forcasted to get
worse the next day) that we had to leave and go somewhere else. We
went to Nashville and went to a stars hockey game. The rest of the
weekend went pretty normal for a flying weekend.

After that weekend the flight commander decided that me and two
other guys were going to get sped up and do our instrument checkride
before Christmas break. Ordinarily that would not be a big deal, but
the weather would not cooperate. We sat and did not fly for almost a
week. We got to the point where if we didn't fly on a given day they
wouldn't have enough flights to check us. It ended up working out
where we all got to check the next to last day before the break. My
checkride did not feel like a
great flight but I don't think that they ever do. I ended up doing
very well and only getting downgraded on one item. Getting that done
means that I only have to worry about one block of training. I should
start formation on Tuesday.

For the break, Rachael and I decided to stay in the area and spend
some term together. We had a good Christmas and we got to spend some
quality time together. We also went to the NW Georgia area for thee
days. We did all the touristy stuff and we stayed in a great cabin
with a hot tub in the woods. We also had my birthday on the first. It
was a pretty chill day and I couldn't have asked for anything more.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

It's so nice to hear about your training experiences and also your opportunities to relax a little. Hope your birthday card got there OK - present is on its way but likely to take 2-3 more weeks since it is a custom item. Mom