19 January 2009

Finally Got The Laptop Back

This is the first post in a couple of weeks that I haven't made from my phone. It is actually nice to have a keyboard instead of trying to type on that small screen. Things are going pretty well here for me and Rachael. We are really in the groove of UPT and we are starting to actually have more and more time to spend with each other. I actually have time at night to help with dinner and do chores around the house instead of spend the entire night buried in books trying to learn how to do this flying thing. Rachael is not really enjoying her job very much but she is sticking it through until track select. After track select we will know more about the next six months or so and she will have a better idea about what she is going to be doing with her education/work.
My class is scheduled to track select (pick what genre of aircraft we are going to be flying) around the 10th of March. It seemed like that was really far off when we started, but time has flown and now we are almost there. I started off with 62 flights in the T-6 and now I only have 14 left. I am simulator and academic complete and that is a really good feeling. I have also done 3 of the 4 check rides that we have to do in T-6s. I only have to think about one kind of flying and that makes the days a lot easier to bear when you know they can only have you fly one type of sortie. These next few weeks leading up to track select should be some really fun weeks.
Rachael and I are really hoping the I get to track into T-44s (a navy trainer). If we got that we would be moving to Corpus Christi, TX for our next phase of training. That would be awesome. Rachael has been looking at school possibilities down in South Texas like TACC and a few others. I would love to go down there and train with the Navy. It is really a program where they treat you like an adult and expect you to get the work done at a pace that is suitable to you. Also, if we get T-44s there is about a 90% chance that we will go on to C-130s from there. C-130s are a good aircraft (although old, but what isn't these days) that do a lot of different kinds of stuff in some pretty cool and austere places. I would try to go on to just the regular variant of C-130s because they have better hours and locations than some of the special operations versions that are out there. If things worked out like we wanted them to, I would be flying the newer J model 130s and we would be on our way to Germany in a little over a year. Another good bonus of being in corpus is the central locations for some pretty decent fishing. I would love to live on the coast for a while and get some nice salt water fishing done on my time off. Maybe I can even get Rachael to like fishing a little..........yeah right!

Until next time!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I hope you get Corpus, too. Mom