09 May 2009

Back in Business

Finally, after almost three months of sitting around with nothing to do but move I have finally gotten back into training. This is a pretty big deal because this is the last phase of training before I get my wings. The academics for navy training should be pretty cake, but the flying is the tough part of any training. We are going to knock out weather and basic instruments in four days. That is going to be pretty fast, but the faster we go here the faster we get into the airplane. I actually got appointed as our class leader because they misread my commissioning date and they don't want to change it on the roles. It is going to be nothing like the class leaders back in the AF, but it is still probably more work than the other guys.
In other news, let the countdown begin! It is officially one month until I get promoted. That pay raise is going to be pretty sweet, especially with as much money as we have had to spend lately.
I finally forced myself to finish Into the Wild and I have to say that book was one of the most irritating books that I have ever read. There really wasn't enough story to be a stand alone book, because they really don't know what was going on with McCandless for the years that he was wondering the country. So instead of just writing what they do know, they infuse the story with all of these other tales of people that charge off into the wilderness unprepared to "find" themselves. It almost seems as if Krakauer spends the entire book justifying this way of life to his readers. I don't want to call it hero worship, but it comes pretty close in my mind. I have now moved on to Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. So far this book is doing pretty well. I had no idea that Diamond was a biologist until I started reading, but his writing is very engaging (especially considering the topic).

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I don't think those books sound very interesting. That's an understatement...Why don't you read something like "Water for Elephants"? That was a very good book...or maybe you should read the Twilight series...Love, Mom