06 October 2008

First Block

So my first week is officially over and we just started our second week of flight line training. It is absolutely the most fun I have ever had in my entire life (to be read: it is the most challenging, hardest thing I have ever done). 4 years of college cannot begin to compare to one week on the flight line (at least for bio majors). I am getting pretty proficient at the basics (straight and level, turns, etc) but I still make a lot of little mistakes. The IPs say that that is normal, but I usually have an unfairly high standard for myself. This first group of rides was basically to introduce us to the handling characteristics of the aircraft. We did things like stalls, and handling demonstrations just so we could get a feel for the wide range of usable airspeeds and maneuvers. Today, I had my first double-turn. That is where they schedule you for two events in the same day, like a flight-sim or a flight-flight. That is really brain numbing. There is so much information in your head at the end of the flying period that I have a hard time going into academic mode and trying to learn how to fly instruments. The way they schedule our academics actually amazes me. We are doing the academics for a portion of the syllabus that we are not even opted to see until about a month from now. We will be done with instruments and on to Navigation and formation before we even get done with the first section. I guess that is why they say the course is extremely front loaded. It is pretty hard to imagine that we have been training for almost two months now. Things are moving pretty fast. Well, that's all for now.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

It is high time you used that brain for something!

Love, Mom