17 June 2008

my life is a pretty boring affair. I am constantly reminded of the contradictions in my day to day life. My preferred mode of transportation is one of my two bikes. I love to bike because its a fun, healthy, good for the environment, and good for the wallet way to get to work. I know that some people would instantly discredit me as a "treehugger" but someday those people will realize that we are all stewards of this planet for the next generation. I grew up enjoying the outdoors in as many ways as I possibly could, and I want my kids to have the same chances that I have had. Also, this is a great way to counteract the negative effects of my day job, Officer/Pilot in the USAF. I burn more gas warming up an engine than most people do in a year, but hey, at least I am trying.
I absolutely can't wait to be a real pilot and not a casual Lt or a student. These past few months have been difficult in that I have not really had a definition for what I am doing. Most of the people in my squadron have a mission, but I am just there filling space and doing the work that no one else really wants to do. That said, I wouldn't trade this time for anything. This has been an invaluable time for me both as an officer and a person. I am gaining experience in areas that many people wont get to for a few more years, and I have spent some quality time with my fiance. We have done some pretty cool stuff that we wouldn't have done if we werent here. Rachael and I are getting married in a little under two weeks, and it is a pretty exciting feeling. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I am thankful for her in my life everyday. I just hope that she can put up with my excentricities.

No comments: